Monday, March 22, 2010

Things on hold for a bit...

I know it's been quite some time since I updated. There is good reason for this. Saturday the 13th my husband and I got together with our best friends. That night (around 1 am Sunday morning), I got a phone call from my uncle that my father had a heart attack while visiting him in Big Rapids, Michigan. He was taken to the hospital there and soon transferred to a larger hospital in Grand Rapids. Needless to say, my life has been turned a bit upside down since this event.

After sobering up and getting about 3 hours of sleep, my husband and I made the 2 1/2 hour journey to Grand Rapids. My father had to have a procedure done Monday the 15th to clear a blocked artery and to put a stint in that artery to keep it open. Unfortunately that evening he also went into Alcohol Withdrawals. Yes, my father is an alcoholic. He's also in denial about it. Most people don't know because he is what I call a functioning alcoholic. He goes about his life like he hasn't had a drink at all. He's not abusive. He's not falling down. But yet every day he has 3-4 drinks and they are very strong drinks at that.

Due to the withdrawals he kept getting out of bed even though he wasn't supposed to. He was trying to leave the hospital even though we told him he couldn't. At times he didn't even know who I was and tried to hurt me (yes I know this was the withdrawals and not him, but it is still a sign to me of just how far gone my father was as he would never do such a thing to me under normal circumstances).

After it took almost a dozen people to keep him in his bed, they sedated him. Because of the sedation he also had to be on a breathing machine. It's taken them almost a week to get him off the sedation and breathing machine. In the process of all this he has also developed Pneumonia. So now it's a waiting game. With luck he will be able to leave the hospital at the end of the week, but considering originally he was supposed to leave the hospital a day or two after the stint was put in, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still keeping up with my change in eating habits as much as hospital food will allow. I've had a couple little slips due to lack of healthy choices or stress. But all in all, I'm doing the best I can. I will start posting regularly again once I'm back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment